Founding Partner of Reyes Abogados Asociados. Mónica Reyes has extensive experience in International Tax Planning, including aspects related to taxes and contributions, foreign exchange, commercial and labor regulations.
She has participated in important mergers and negotiations and is recognized for her work at the National Tax and Customs Office of Colombia. At Occidental Petroleum she supervised the company's tax planning. As a partner at Brigard y Urrutia Abogados, she oversaw the tax practice area for ten years.
She has lectured on tax planning in the Tax Law Specializations at Universidad del Rosario and Universidad de los Andes and in the Master's Degree in Tax Law at Universidad Externado de Colombia.
Ms. Reyes is a member of the Colombian Chapter of the International Fiscal Association and the Colombian Institute of Tax Law, as well as the tax sections of the International Bar Association and the American Bar Association. In these scenarios she has led several panels on international taxation.
- J.D. (Jurisprudence) Universidad del Rosario.
- Specialization in Tax Law - Universidad del Rosario.
- Economic Law - London School of Economics.
- Diploma in International Tax Law - Robert Kennedy University.
Languages: English - Spanish
- Speaker – 7th Annual IBA Finance & Capital Markets Tax Conference: Impact of BEPS and antiavoidance rules on non-European/US countries. London, United Kingdom. February― 2018.
- Speaker – Private Client Forum Americas: Oye Como Va – Handling the establishment of FATCA/CRS for the Latin American family. Playa del Carmen, Mexico. February ― 2017.
- 6th Annual IBA Tax Conference: Current International tax issues in Cross-Border Corporate Finance and Capital Markets- Global (Non EU) developments in Finance including response to BEPS and GAAR.”. London, United Kingdom. January ― 2017.
- IBA Annual Conference- Session on Digital Life After Death. Washington D.C., USA. September― 2016.
- Wealth and Asset Planning Workshop Panel: The Worst of Two Worlds – U.S. Tax Residents or Citizens with Assets in Latin America; Locals with Heirs or Assets in the United States. Miami, USA. June ― 2016.
- Latin Private Wealth Management Summit 2016. Panamá City, Panamá. May ― 2016.
- FIBA Wealth Management Forum 2015. Miami, USA. October― 2015.
- Chair Wealth and Asset Planning Workshop: Panel I US Investors Abroad – FATCA and Other Compliance Issues: Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Canada and the U.K. Panel II Passive Investments Abroad – Tax Enforcement and CFC Rules by Various Latin American Countries. Miami, USA. June ― 2014.
- Chair Panel U.S. – Latin American Tax Planning Strategies Acquisition and Reorganization of Mining Projects in Latin America: A Canadian Perspective. WTS Alliance – “Accelerating Growth with Tax, Legal and Consulting”. London, United Kingdom. ― 2013.
- Committee, supported by the IBA North American Regional Forum. Toronto, Canada. 2012.
- Co-Chair Mining Taxation and Financing: The Essential “How to” Conference presented by the IBA Taxes.
- Chair Panel sobre – Private equity into Colombia tax structuring “Estructuración de impuestos en la Compra de sociedades privadas en Colombia”. Cuatrecasas, Nueva York, E.E.U.U. Junio ― 2008.
- Speaker on “Planning for the Pacific Coast Family”, The Step Pacific.
- Rim Conference. San Francisco, E.E.U.U. Marzo ― 2008.
- Chair Panel on Taxation of Artists and Athletes, IBA. London, United Kingdom. March - 2006.