Mónica Reyes Rodríguez is the founder partner in Reyes Abogados Asociados S.A. She has ample expertise in International Fiscal Planning, including aspects related to taxes, exchange control and foreign trade, labor and environmental regulations.
She obtained a major in Law from Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario (“Universidad del Rosario”), and specialized in taxes in the same university. She attended LLM courses in economic law in London School of Economics and obtained a diploma on International Tax Law at the Kennedy University in Switzerland.
Ms. Reyes has participated in the most representative M&A international transactions, in the design of efficient structures for international investment, and in the most important tax controversies that have taken place in Colombia.
Ms. Reyes worked at the Colombian National Tax Administration and at Occidental Petroleum Inc. as the tax planning supervisor for Colombia.
For fifteen years she worked in the Colombian Law Firm Brigard & Urrutia Abogados. For ten years, she was the Partner in charge of the fiscal practice of the firm.
Ms. Reyes has taught law in the Tax Law diploma and Master’s Degree courses in Universidad del Rosario and Universidad Externado de Colombia.
She was president of the Colombian Chapter of the International Fiscal Association and is a member of the Colombian Tax Law Institute and of the Tax Sections in the American Bar Association and the International Bar Association.
Ms. Reyes has given numerous lectures regarding Colombian taxes and international taxation in national and international forums.
Recently, Ms. Reyes has been participating in negotiation and M&A proceedings, as per her clients’ requests. Her performance has rendered very successful results.
Exchange control and Foreign Investment
Universidad del Rosario, Bogotá, Colombia.
Degree in Law
Universidad del Rosario, Bogotá, Colombia.
Specialization in Tax Law
London School of Economics, London, England.
L.L.M – Economic Law
Robert Kennedy University, Zurich, Switzerland.
Diploma on Internationa Tax Law
- Chair IBA Conference for Young Latinamerican Tax Lawyers, International Bar Association Miami, 2005.
- Chair Panel on Taxation for Artists and Sportpersons, Tax Committee, International Bar Association London, 2006.
- Chair Panel on Protection of Investment and Tax Stability, International Bar Association Sao Paulo, 2006.
- Chair Panel on “You Can Run, But You Can’t not Hide Forever”, Chicago, 2006.
- Speaker “Planning for the Pacific Coast Family”, The Step Pacific Rim Conference, San Francisco. 2008.
- Chair Workshop “Family Planning for the next generation”, Latin American Tax Planning Strategies Conference, IBA Miami, 2008.
- Chair Panel Private Equity Into Colombia Tax Structuring, Cuatrecasas, Nueva York, 2008.
- Chair Panel Strategies Investment Structuring. A review of Holding Company Jurisdictions and structures used by Industry to operate in Latin-America 2nd Annual US-Latin-American Tax Planning Strategies Conference Sponsored by the Taxation sections of the IBA and ABA, and the IFA-USA Branch, Miami 2009.
- Co-Chair Mining Taxation and Financing: The Essential “How to” Conference. Conference presented by the IBA Taxes Committee, supported by the IBA North American Regional Forum. Toronto – Canada 2012.
- Speaker – Step Miami Summit – Important Planning Updates – Colombia Miami, June 2012.
- Chair Panel U.S. – Latin American Tax Planning Strategies Acquisition and Reorganization of Mining Projects in Latin America: A Canadian Perspective. Miami, June 2012.
- Speaker – Doing Business in Colombia Practical Cases Chile, December 2012.
- Chair – Tax Reform Conference, Law 1607, 2012. Colombia, January 2013
- Chair Panel U.S. – Latin America Tax Planning Strategies Conference. Wealth and Asset Management Workshop Miami, June 2013.
- WTS Alliance – “Accelerating Growth with Tax, Legal and Consulting” London, October 2013
- Chair Wealth and Asset Planning Workshop: Panel I US Investors Abroad – FATCA and Other Compliance Issues: Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Canada and the U.K. Panel II Passive Investments Abroad – Tax Enforcement and CFC Rules by Various Latin American Countries Miami, June 2014.
Recognitions and Awards
Chambers Latin America 2015, recognizes Ms. Mónica Reyes Rodríguez of Reyes Abogados Asociados within the tax chapter in Colombia among the Other Notable Practitioners, stating that she “is praised by clients for her ability to handle complex matters and achieve positive results”. Chambers and Partners 2014 included her among the Other Notable Practitioners, stating that “Monica Reyes Rodriguez of Reyes Abogados Asociados is a well-respected figure in the market, singled out for praise by numerous interviewees. Clients appreciate her “creativity, flexibility, passion and willingness to help.””
Ms. Reyes Rodriguez has been recognized by the international law magazine “PLC WHICH LAWYER” as highly recommended within the corporate-tax practice in Colombia. PLC also includes Reyes Abogados Asociados as one of the top Law Firms in Colombia.
The international publication “WHO’S WHO LEGAL” also recommends Mónica Reyes Rodríguez partner founder of Reyes Abogados Asociados as an expert in the area of Corporate Tax.
“Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides” is a series of handbooks listing the world’s leading lawyers and legal advisers, based on extensive client and peer review.
Guide to the World’s Leading Tax Advisers is the latest addition to their successful Expert Guides programme featuring the world’s best legal practitioners in the tax field. To view the current edition of the guide, please visit www.expertguides.com.
Chambers Latin America 2009 referred to Mónica Reyes and her Law Firm Reyes Abogados Asociados in the following terms:
“Formerly of Brigard & Urrutia, Monica Reyes Rodriguez has established her own firm, Reyes Abogados Asociados, which is beginning to attract the admiration of peers”.
GETTING THE DEAL THROUGH – The Acquisition (from the buyer’s perspective) 2008.
NEW PROPOSED REGULATIONS ON THE COLOMBIAN INCOME TAX FOR EQUITY (CREE). Practical Latinamerican Tax Strategies. August, 2013.
THE TAX AMNESTY UNDER THE NEW COLOMBIAN TAX BILL. Expert Guide- Tax 2013. Corporate Life Wire.
THE OCDE BEPS REPORT ON BASE EROSION AND PROFIT SHIFTING, AMERICAN COLOMBIAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE BUSINESS MAIL, March 2014.